Monday 24 February 2020

What, Back to France?







Hi there everyone,

It's hard to believe but Chris and I have been here in Cambrils almost a month and tomorrow, February 25th, we'll be leaving. I feel like I'm just getting settled but Chris says that, based upon the amount of time I've spent in bed, I seem to have coped pretty well.

The weather here has been very pleasant, with day after day of sunshine and blue skies. Chris is amused at the locals, who dress like it's the Arctic, in quilted coats and boots. Even the sports cyclists are covered from head to toe. Actually, I think it is the Catalans who smirk at Chris in his tee shirt and long shorts in what is still winter.

The old man has been out on more big bike rides and averaging 300km per week. He rode into the countryside on rough caminos to visit the “barracas” which are small dry stone buildings unique to this part of Spain. His longest ride though was last Saturday when he cycled 120km into and through the mountains – close to Montblanc (no, not that one). He had to race back to catch the Carnaval procession on the seafront. The feline image at the top of this post is of the Carnaval cat from the poster advertising the event. Chris thought that he looks a bit like me and I can see a resemblance – maybe we're distantly related? The procession had Mad Hatters, pirates and flamenco dancers and I gather it was noisy and colourful, as one would expect in this part of the world.

I've taken to having an evening stroll with Chris as he takes his washing up to the sanitary block. Occasionally I go into the building with him but only if there's nobody else in there. Otherwise I wander around a bit as I wait for him outside. That's about as far as I get on the campsite. As I'm responsible for security on our pitch I can't just take off when I feel like it (unlike some).

Last week Chris cycled to Tarragona to take in the Roman ruins, Modern Art Gallery and the restored port. It was about a 20km ride on a minor road, via Salou, which led him right into the city. He says that it was fun to be on the bike as he could cover more ground that on foot and that there was almost no traffic in the old town. The highlight in the art gallery was a huge textile work by Miro and the best bit of ancient Roman architecture was the amphitheatre which overlooks the Mediterranean.

Chris made pancakes the other day for his lunch. He says they were delicious but one slid straight out of the frying pan and into my bowl of munchies on the floor. I thought his offer of sharing was kind but I declined the offer, anyway.

So, it's now time to start packing up and I aim to keep well out of the way.

Love to you all,

Banksy the Caravan Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment